CDOT: COLORADO DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION CAMPAIGN
FROM CONCEPT TO A COUPLE HUNDRED THOUSAND VIEWS
CIG (Communication Infrastructure Group) contacted Zerosun Creative through the website in mid-November, soliciting us as a possible vendor for a large creative video project. Initially, we discussed many different directions for a campaign that the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), one of CIG’s largest clients, needed to have produced. They requested five 30-60 second spots for a campaign to inform Coloradoans of traffic laws and programs for Interstate 70, which is an extremely high-volume route from Denver to the mountains and ski resorts.
They wanted something funny, attention-grabbing, and informative – not something you usually expect from a government transportation agency! Eventually, we decided on an animation campaign that would be entirely original and written completely from scratch.
Zerosun was ready and excited to take on the challenge. Acting as a full-fledged creative agency on behalf of CDOT and CIG, we handled everything from scriptwriting and storyboarding to animation, casting voiceover talent, and sound design. We did all the things that an advertising agency would do, but for a fraction of the price and all under one roof.
Campaign videos were completely animated and finished over the busy December holidays? DAMN DANIEL!
All said and done, our timeline looked something like this:
- Late-November – CDOT contacts Zerosun for campaign pitches
- Mid-December – Zerosun presents five scripts and two mood boards to CDOT
- Early January – Zerosun presents five story-boarded scripts based on chosen mood board
- Late January – All five first drafts including voice-over narration are completed
- Early to Mid-February – Final revisions completed, all five finished spots delivered to CDOT
TAKE A LOOK AT THE FINISHED PRODUCT:
* all five spots compiled into one video for easier viewing of the campaign
CDOT promotes all five videos on both Facebook and Instagram. The number of views and engagements on each video (in the 10 to 100 thousand range) demonstrates the success of the campaign, and because of the evergreen nature of the content, CDOT will be able to use this campaign for a long time to come!